Sourcing information

Hello Everyone,

I am in the Government sector (Air Force Medical Modeling Simulation & Training). I wanted to see if anyone knew of other entities specifically vendors that offered similar capabilities to what Biogears provides? We are working on gearing up our portfolio in the medical modeling space. Any information on other companies providing this type of service is much appreciated!

Comments

• The UNC Center for Innovation in Pharmacy Simulation at the UNC Eshelman School of Pharmacy in Chapel Hill North Carolina has a robust modeling and simulation capability with an emphasis on computational biology, pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, genotype, phenotype, various disease states and the biology of aging. For more information please contact: Jerry Heneghan (jerry@unc.edu).
    Fpuente_AFMMASTrachelclipp
  • abairdabaird Moderator
    HI Fpuente_AFMMAST!

Great to hear from you! There are a few other vendors that offer similar functionality to BioGears. These include:
    CAE Healthcare: patient simulator (specifically the Muse engine underneath their educational technology), https://caehealthcare.com/patient-simulation,
    Lairdal http://www.laerdal.com/us/products/simulation-training/ (not sure what the underlying physiology engine is here),
    Virtual Physiology http://www.virtual-physiology.com/.

For a training simulator programmed on top of BioGears also see ARA's Virtual Heroes Combat Medic trainer. Demos can be found here: and Details on aquiring this technology can be found through their website: http://www.virtualheroes.biz or by directly contacting their devision manager Randy Brown: Randy.Brown@virtualheroes.com

For this application BioGears provides the underlying physiology while the trainer interacts with the user.

I'm not completely familiar with all the details underlying their engines because they are behind pay-walls so I can't speak to the specific similarities. BioGears was specifically funded to be open-source and free to use so as to decrease the amount of development and money needed to create simulated virtual trainers, increase the amount of users, and grow the medical modeling and simulation community!

If you'd like more details please feel free to reach out to me (Austin Baird) at abaird@ara.com, or feel free to continue to post on the forums! Thanks!
    drmcgillbwelch
  • Austin,

Thank you very much for this detailed information! We are very familiar with Laerdal and CAE's offerings. Virtual Physiology and Virtual Heroes are very useful sources for us that we will explore in greater detail. I have your information saved in the event we have any questions. Thank you once again

Best,

Frank
  • coolwebbcoolwebb Entry Level
    edited September 2017
    [Deleted by moderator due to violating posting rules]
    rachelclipp
  • coolwebbcoolwebb Entry Level
    edited September 2017
    [Deleted by moderator due to violating posting rules]
  • Coolwebb,

Thank you for this information. I had the opportunity to see your medical computing section off Kitware's website. This is great stuff, I am compiling all this data for our program's leadership and curriculum folks to review. I have your information saved for future reference. Thanks again!
  • Dear Fpuente_AFMMAST,
    I will provide a short summary and am open to connecting for a longer discussion. I am at the University of Washington (UW), Director of the Center for Research in Education and Simulation Technologies (CREST) and the PI for the Advanced Modular Manikin (AMM) engineering part at UW.
    As Jeff mentioned, as the AMM stipulates open standards, open source where appropriate, modular, interoperable architecture, we are working towards defining the interface for the Physiology Engine to be a stand alone module and allow the users to select whose physiology engine they prefer to use.
    Although physiology modeling has been around for quite some time, none of the existing engines are perfect, each having their own pro's and con's.
    The International Research community has been looking at this field for a while, with several projects targeting standardization of multi-scale models. So far these attempts have targeted exchange of their research efforts, rather than complete engines as we are considering. There is a research effort at UW on this topic that is very promising (http://sbp.bhi.washington.edu/projects/the-ontology-of-physics-for-biology-opb) as our case is relatively simple (not multi-scale "not down to the cellular level") and treating the engines initially as black boxes (versus wanting to mix and match equations between competing engines).
    In addition to BioGears,there is the HumMod project as well as some newer efforts out of Europe to build new, complete Physiology Engines. We are considering holding a small meeting at UW to bring this community together later this year and could invite you as well as if you are interested. Let m know if you want to connect for a longer chat directly, I believe it is very important that these efforts are connected as the magnitude of the.problem requires collaboration.
    Regards,
    dhananel@uw.edu
    drmcgillFpuente_AFMMAST